In today’s world of intense competition, it’s more important than ever for businesses to have a strong brand presence.
However, creating a brand and maintaining it can be a challenging task. That’s where viral advertising comes into play.
In this article, we will explore the concept of viral advertising and how it can be used to unleash your brand’s potential.
What Is Viral Advertising?
Definition of Viral Advertising
Viral advertising is a viral marketing strategy that uses existing social networks to promote a product or service. It relies on individuals sharing the viral content with their friends and family, causing the message to spread rapidly like a virus. Viral advertising can take many forms, including viral video content, memes, and social media challenges.
Examples of Viral Advertising
Here are some examples of viral advertising campaigns that have successfully captured the attention of audiences and generated widespread engagement:
- The Ice Bucket Challenge: this viral marketing campaign took social media by storm in 2014, raising awareness and funds for ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) research. Participants would pour iced water over their heads and challenge others to do the same, with many high-profile celebrities and public figures participating. The marketing campaign generated over $115 million in donations for ALS research and was shared millions of times across social media
- Old Spice “the man your man could smell like”: this ad campaign featured a humorous and charismatic spokesperson who humorously touted the benefits of Old Spice products. The campaign went viral, with millions of views on YouTube and widespread media coverage. It helped revitalise the brand and increase sales
- Dollar Shave Club: this viral ad campaign featured a humorous and irreverent spokesperson who touted the convenience and affordability of dollar shave club’s razor subscription service. The campaign generated millions of views on YouTube and helped establish the company as a significant player in the shaving industry
- Oreo’s Super Bowl blackout tweet: during the 2013 super bowl, a power outage caused a delay in the game. Oreo quickly jumped on the opportunity, tweeting a clever image of an Oreo cookie in the dark with the caption, “You can still dunk in the dark”. The tweet went viral, generating thousands of retweets and shares and helping to solidify Oreo’s reputation as a clever and creative brand on social media
These examples demonstrate the power of viral advertising to capture audiences’ attention and generate widespread engagement. By creating engaging and shareable content, businesses can tap into the power of social media and unlock the full potential of their brand.
Why Is Viral Advertising Effective?
The effectiveness of viral advertising lies in its ability to generate buzz and engagement. When done correctly, viral campaigns can reach a massive audience relatively cheaply.
How To Create A Viral Campaign
Define Your Target Audience
Creating a successful viral marketing campaign requires careful planning and execution. The first step is to define your target audience. Who do you want to reach with your campaign? What are their interests and behaviours?
Set Clear Goals And Objectives
Next, set clear goals and objectives for your campaign. Do you want to increase brand awareness, drive sales, or encourage User-Generated Content?
Create Content That Resonates With Your Audience
Once you clearly understand your target audience and goals, it’s time to create content that resonates with your audience. This could be a video, a meme, or a social media challenge.
Utilise Social Media Platforms
To maximise the reach of your campaign, it’s essential to utilise social media platforms. This could include sharing your content on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Partner With Influencers
Partnering with influencers can also help increase the reach of your campaign. Influencers have large followings and can help promote your content to their audience.
Make It Shareable
To ensure your campaign is shareable, make it easy for people to share your content. This could include adding social media sharing buttons to your website or including a Call-to-Action in your video.
Measure Your Success
Finally, it’s essential to measure the success of your campaign. This could include tracking the number of shares, likes, and comments on your social media posts.
Top Tips For A Successful Viral Marketing Campaign
To ensure the success of your viral campaign, there are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Keep it simple: people are more likely to share content that is easy to understand and share
- Be authentic: people can quickly spot when something is fake or insincere, so it’s essential to be genuine in your messaging
- Stay on brand: your campaign should be consistent with your brand’s values and personality
- Use humour: an effective way to engage with your audience. However, it’s vital to ensure that the humour is appropriate and aligns with your brand
- Tap into emotions: a powerful way to connect with your audience. Whether it’s through a heart-warming story or a powerful message, content that elicits an emotional response is more likely to be shared
- Take a stance: a stance on a relevant issue can also help generate buzz and engagement. However, it’s crucial to ensure that your viewpoint is aligned with your brand’s values and that it’s not seen as controversial or offensive
- Use data to inform your strategy: using data to inform your strategy can help increase the effectiveness of your campaign. This could include analysing past campaign data or conducting market research to understand your target audience better
The Benefits of Viral Advertising
Increased Brand Awareness
There are many benefits to incorporating viral advertising into your marketing strategy. First and foremost, it can help increase brand awareness. When done correctly, viral campaigns can reach a massive audience relatively cheaply.
Viral advertising is also a cost-effective marketing strategy. Because it relies on individuals sharing content, it can be much cheaper than traditional advertising methods.
Increased Engagement And Reach
In addition, viral campaigns can lead to increased engagement and reach. When people share your content, it helps increase its visibility and can lead to a snowball effect.
Greater Audience Targeting
Viral advertising also provides greater audience targeting. Because the content is shared through social networks, it’s more likely to reach people interested in your brand or product.
Increased Potential For User-Generated Content
Finally, viral campaigns have the potential to generate User-Generated Content. When people engage with your campaign, they may create content, which can further increase the reach and engagement of your campaign.
Viral advertising can be a powerful tool for unleashing your brand’s potential.
Businesses can reach a massive audience relatively cheaply by creating engaging and shareable content.
However, creating a successful viral campaign requires careful planning and execution. By following the tips and strategies outlined in this article, businesses can increase their chances of success and unlock the full potential of their brand.